Frequently Asked Questions
- Can we leave our luggage or some gear at the Backpackers, when we are tramping?
Yes. We have a free locked storage shed where guests can leave their gear.
- Can we check in before 2pm?
This is possible. You can come to the Hostel as soon as you arrive on the Island. If your room is ready you may check in. If your room is not yet ready, you are welcome to leave your luggage with us until you are able to check in.
- Check out time is at 10am. We are leaving the Island in the afternoon/evening. Can we leave our luggage at the Backpackers until departure?
Yes. We have the storage shed where you can store your luggage until you depart. Alternatively, the ferry and flight offices will hold your luggage for you until your departure later in the day.
Yes. WiFi is available free of charge. Please be aware that due to our location our connection sometimes struggles under heavy load (and all internet connections on the Island), and may not be high speed at all times.
- If we arrive by plane how do we get to the Backpackers?
Stewart Island Flights operate a courtesy van that will automatically shuttle you from the airstrip to their depot on the Halfmoon Bay waterfront.
From there we are only a short 2 minute walk away.
- If we arrive by ferry how do we get to the Backpackers?
The ferry arrives at the main wharf in Halfmoon Bay, which is 600m away from the Backpackers. We are only a 7 minute flat walk away. If you would like a pick up you can arrange this with Aurora Cab & Co. taxi. Phone 0277 227 935.
- Is there a taxi or shuttle service that can take us to the beginning of the Rakiura Track?